Monday, July 30, 2012

School & Fiesta

My classmates are crazy... but in a good way! It's very true, at least in my experience, that Paraguayans are very upfront and in your face and actually quite personal... within the first 15 minutes I had been asked multiple questions that I, if I were in the US, would consider quite rude. But since I'm in Paraguay... It was just a little (a lot) overwhelming.

As for the actual learning that goes on... it's again, very different. We had a "religion" class this morning and basically the teacher just banged on his desk and everyone just socialized with each over for about an hour. Then we left, went to our chemistry class and socialized for another 20 minutes. After that was recreo, another 20 minutes... when we came back the professor just read out of a book and we had to copy word-for-word. I was shocked. And the noise- all these Paraguayans are so, so loud! One person will start talking and then another will try to talk over them and then another and pretty soon every one is just screaming and the class rooms are really echoey... I think I'm going to need to invest in some ear plugs to hang out with these people. It was the same way tonight, at the Friendship Day fiesta I went to. It was really fun- everyone brought Secret Santa gifs, kinda, except when it was FINALLY time to open them (the party started at 4.00pm... most people didn't show up until 5.00pm, 5.30pm... ) the person giving the gift would stand up and say a little something about the recipient without using their name and we'd all try to guess who their gift was for. Mine was kind of funny: before everyone showed up, I was trying to remember some people's names. I'd been introduced to this girl, Rosalina, probably two or three times, but I still couldn't remember (there are 27 people in my class, not including myself) her name. She was like, "Flora you've met me three times, what is my name??!" And then I just blurted out "Josefina??!" and everyone started laughing. But coincidentally enough, my gift recipient was Rosalina/Josefina, and so when I had to stand up and make my little speech, I said, "This girl's other name is Josefina..." and man, that was a hit. I AM FUNNY IN SPANISH TOO!!! But here is an example of Paraguayan forwardness: Apparently Rosalina used to be fat. Except now she's not. But I got her a green polk-a-dotted cow on a keychain and another girl Yayi, didn't hesitate one second to point out that it was a "coincidence" that I got her a cow because she used to be fat. And Rosalina was right there!! Another example: there is a girl called Pato. Why? Because she has a duck face. But Pato doesn't seem to mind being called Pato. They are just joking around with each other. 

All in all, however, I am very happy with my new class. They're all very nice and inviting, and they took like a zillion pictures with me tonight and I felt like I was being stalked by the papperazzi but that's way better than being completely ignored. My class is planning on taking a trip to Brazil in October or November (we'll see if it actually happens, haha!) and they already have told me and invited me along! So despite all their noise and questions they are all very nice people. They told me that they are fun people, but the good kind of fun people, not the bad kind... so I really hope so.

Lastly... I don't want to get a tattoo here. Everyone keeps on asking me if I want one. They tell me that they can do it, or one of their friends can. NOOOO thank you!!


And some other things I'd like to share: 1. It's freezing here (50F), 2. so I've taken to sleeping with my violin because I don't want him to get cold. In the case, of course. I have been told that I have to use my space heater thing sparingly because it is expensive. 3. I also have been told that I have to use the other bathroom because the warmer, nicer one is full. Which would be fine if it were 90F out but currently it's freezing, and the water only gets mediocre warm as it is... I never thought I'd say this but, currently, I hate bathing. Period.

CIAO!

No comments:

Post a Comment