Thursday, August 9, 2012

Danza Paraguaya

I've joined our school dance team, I think. I'm not quite sure what it is but we practice three days a week after school for like an two hours or so and we have a competition in October. The dance that we will be performing is Danza Paraguaya, which is like the national dance...

My first practice, Monday evening, I was too bad to dance with the rest of the people, who have all been dancing Danza Paraguaya since before the dinosaurs were born. I was taken to a special corner where I was taught multiple twirly dance steps... then yesterday I was integrated in the with rest of the group. I was like, YAY promotion at first because I could do the majority of the steps correctly, except then they were like, OK, pick a partner... and I was like, Ummmmmmmm... no?

So, in Danza Paraguaya basically there is a lot of twirling: synchronized twirling, weaving in-and-out-of-eachother twirling, solo twirling... etc. My poor partner, Ruben basically spend a good solid hour dodging my twirling. Like, probably if he had not been as good at dancing as he was, one of us would have left with a minor concussion.

I am also doing baila ritmica, which is more like American hip hop line dancing or something. We have practice in 15 minutes.

I am really happy here, I think the worst of my homesickness has past!!! Today we didn't have school, we went and watched volibol and futbol in the Poli. Tomorrow I think our school is having some sort of competition between classes... we are doing sort of a parade thing before the beginning of another soccer tournament and I was elected as Snow White. And on Monday we don't have school so I am going to help August make empanadas for lunch. That is what is new.

And the armadillo, Abby, is definitely for eating... they say it tastes like chicken.

1 comment:

  1. You're so funny, Flora. We want to see some photos of dance class, please!

    ReplyDelete