Thursday, August 23, 2012

More hora Paraguay

For the last three days my dance practices have been canceled. Monday because of the rain. The last couple days have been gross and rainy, and so lots of things have been canceled. Like my class meeting to discuss our class trip. Except for that was rescheduled and so I am officially going to BRAZIL with my class at the end of the year. But anyways, not only when it is raining, but when it looks like it's going to rain, or if it's just stopped raining things get cancelled. So I didn't get to go to my harp class on Monday because of the weather, except then I saw my teacher later and he was like, Why didn't you come? And I said it was because of the rain and he said, Igual no mas... so I'm starting to rethink this rain policy. Actually to be honest I have no idea. Sometimes things get canceled legitimately because of the weather but sometimes they get canceled illegitimately because of the weather... the time and scheduling here is just so confusing. 

Tuesday, dance was canceled again. Because of a soccer/hand ball tournament. And then Wednesday too, even though everyone said that there was going to be dance. But then we ended up celebrating the Virgin Mary instead. Ugh. It's so frustrating sometimes. And I am not exaggerating at all when I talk about the lack of importance for commitments. 

So that has been my life lately. I have had quite a lot of spare time on my hands due to all of these cancellations and so I have started a presentation on Alaska because I want to educate my peers that Alaska is my state, not my country, and that my country is the United States, not Canada. I am presenting sometime next week. 

Tomorrow I am off to Asuncion for orientation again with AFS. I'm not sure where we're going after that because no one ever tells me anything here, and when they do it's usually only a 50% chance of being correct. Sometimes I wonder how Paraguayans can function with such a lack of disorganization. But they are all used to it I guess. It's just confusing for foreigners like myself who think that un "ratito" is like 15 minutes max, when in actuality (here in Paraguay) it can mean anywhere form 15 minutes to 2 hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment